Kitchen Connects GSO is an incubator program for local food business entrepreneurs, a partnership of Greensboro Farmers Curb Market, Out of the Garden Project and Guilford County Cooperative Extension, made possible by a USDA Local Food Promotion Grant contracted though the City of Greensboro.
Participants of the Kitchen Connects GSO program will receive food safety training, small business classes in merchandising, marketing and basic small business finance, access to shared use commercial kitchens, mentoring and a specially designated farmers market table to sell products for a pilot phase.
Many people have recipes and ideas for local food products that are valuable; but often times, the means and information to start the business can be a mountain of daunting tasks. There is much more to starting a small food business than meets the eye – state and federal food safety laws, label requirements, sourcing ingredients, marketing and a place to sell are among the challenges.
Greensboro Farmers Curb Market
CONNECTING FARMERS, FOOD AND FRIENDS
Through Kitchen Connects GSO, Greensboro Farmers Curb Market will offer business training courses through a partnership with East Greensboro NOW and provide a designated market table for program participants.
In addition, the market will be opening a 839 sq ft demonstration kitchen in May 2017, to further facilitate the promotion of local food through events through cooking demonstrations and tasting events with seasonal, market sourced ingredients.
About the Market
Greensboro Farmers Market, Inc. (GFM) operates the Greensboro Farmers Curb Market on behalf of the City of Greensboro. GFM is a 501c3 nonprofit. GFM provides greater Greensboro with opportunities to purchase and learn about local food and setting. GFM encourages and supports the growth of local foods and artisan goods businesses to improve greater Greensboro’s economy, support better health through healthy eating and build social and community connections.
Location and Hours of Operation
The Greensboro Farmers Curb Market, 501 Yanceyville Street, is located at the corner of Lindsey Street and Yanceyville Street across from the War Memorial Stadium and operates year round on Saturdays 7 am to 12 pm and seasonally on Wednesday 8 am- 1 pm (April 19 – Dec. 22). The Market is an indoor facility with free admission, WiFi, and plenty of free parking as well as an ATM on site.
Photo Credit Doug Mokaren
Out of the Garden Project
Nourishing Children’s Minds and Bodies
Through Kitchen Connect GSO, Out of the Garden Project will offer the use of their affordable low risk, shared used kitchen, with a focus on creating opportunity for low income areas to find ways to help their situation.
The Out of the Garden Project's shared used kitchen is located at 3910 Clifton Rd, Greensboro. The cost of using the kitchen is $10 per hour. For more information visit their website.
Guilford Co Cooperative Extension
Through Kitchen Connects GSO, Guilford County Cooperative Extension will offer Safe Plate food safety training and the use of their affordable low risk, shared used kitchen kitchen venue.
The Cooperative Extensions' shared use kitchen is located at 3309 Burlington Rd, Greensboro. The cost of using the kitchen is $10 per hour. For more information visit their website.
Get started today
Applicants for Kitchen Connects GSO will need to apply directly though the link below. All applicants will be required to commit to the following program segments:
- Plan for Success class – 2 hours
- Safe Plate certification – 8 hour classroom, 2 hours for exam
- Certification cost is $100; scholarships may be available for approved and qualified participants
- Marketing Your Product – 2 hour
- Selling Your Product – 2 hour
- Production of product in certified
- kitchen cost is $10/hour; program will offer up to first three uses at no cost
- Test market product for three Saturdays at specially designated vendor tables at Greensboro Farmers Curb Market
- Participants interested in vending at market after the program, can click HERE for more information on applying.
Current Anticipated Timeline
*dates and times will be updated as available
Applications Open August 1 - August 31, 2017!
- Applications will be reviewed by committee and notifications sent by Tuesday, September 5, 2017.
- Plan for Success – Thursday, September 14, 6:00pm-8:00pm at Greensboro Farmers Curb Market
- Safe Plate certification – Monday, September 18, 8:30am-5pm at Guilford County Cooperative Extension
- Exam Tuesday, September 19 at 5:30pm, same location
- Selling Your Product – Thursday, October 5, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm at Greensboro Farmers Curb Market
- Marketing Your Product – Thursday, October 12, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm at Greensboro Farmers Curb Market
- Begin selling at market as early as Saturday, October 28th!
Changes and updated information will be communicated directly to participants in a timely manner.